Modvigil 100 mg
Modvigil (modafinil) is a prescription drug. It is most commonly used to treat excessive sleepiness caused by narcolepsy, obstructive sleep apnea, and shift work.
Modvigil belongs to a class of drugs called stimulants. It is available in 100 mg and 200 mg oral tablets.
How does Modvigil 100 mg works?
Modvigil 100 mg contains an ingredient known as Modafinil which works by increasing dopamine and norepinephrine in the brain. It works through the brain’s orexin system which is responsible for regulating sleep cycles.
Additionally, dopamine is an essential neurotransmitter known as the “feel good” hormone. Dopamine affects our movements, memory and concentration. So, Modvigil 100 mg helps you stay focused and awake by helping to awaken your mind.
It is sometimes called the “study drug” because it is used by students, creative professionals and entrepreneurs. This drug is usually used by people who work late at night, in shifts, early in the morning and by people whose work requires a lot of concentration.
Uses of Modvigil 100 mg
Modvigil 100 mg is prescribed for the treatment of the following problems:
Narcolepsy: A sleep disorder that causes excessive daytime sleepiness, hallucinations, and sleep paralysis.
Obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) – a sleep disorder that causes breathing to stop repeatedly for 10 seconds or more during sleep due to a narrow or blocked airway.
Shift Work Sleep Disorder (SWSD): A sleep disorder that disrupts the life cycle causing chronic sleep deprivation and insomnia in people who work night shifts, rotating shifts, and morning shifts.
How to take Modvigil 100 (Provigil 100)?
How you take Provigil may depend on what you are taking it for.
- If you are taking Modvigil to reduce daytime sleepiness due to narcolepsy or sleep apnea, you will take it in the morning.
- If you’re taking this pill for trouble sleeping during shift work, you’ll probably take it an hour before your shift.
- It will keep you awake for several hours, so you shouldn’t take it too close to bedtime.
Take Provigil with food
You can take Provigil with or without food. If the medicine upsets your stomach, taking it with food may reduce this side effect. However, if you take it with food, Provigil may take a little longer to start working.
Can Modvigil be crushed?
Provigil tablets should not be crushed or divided. If you have difficulty taking Provigil, talk to your doctor or pharmacist about options that may make taking the tablet easier.
The dose of Provigil your doctor prescribes will depend on several factors. This includes:
- The type and severity of the disease you are using Provigil for treatment
- your age
- other medical conditions you may have
Your doctor will usually prescribe a low dose and adjust it over time to get the right dose for you. Finally, they will prescribe the smallest dose that provides the desired effect.
Your doctor will determine the best dose based on your needs.
Dosage for narcolepsy and sleep apnea
For daytime sleepiness caused by narcolepsy or obstructive sleep apnea, the typical dose is 200 mg once daily in the morning. Higher doses are sometimes used, up to 400 mg per day. However, these doses may not be more effective than 200 mg per day.
Dosage for sleep disorders in shift work
For excessive sleepiness due to sleep disturbance during shift work, the typical dose is 200 mg to be taken approximately one hour before the start of the shift.
Missed dose: If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible. If it is time for your next dose, do not overdose to make up for the forgotten dose. Skip the missed dose and take your scheduled dose. If it is time to go to bed, do not take the medicine. Skip the missed dose and continue the next day.
Overdose: Overdose can worsen the condition and cause serious side effects. Contact your doctor if this happens.
Common side effects of Modvigil 100mg include:
- upset stomach
- Skin rashes
- dry mouth
- Chest pain
Instructions for storage
Modvigil 100 mg tablets should be stored properly and safely in their original container.
- Keep medicines out of the reach of children.
- Keep the pills away from heat, light and moisture.
- Do not consume medicines beyond the expiry date.
- Once the package is opened, store the tablets in an airtight container
Interactions with drugs
If you are taking medication for your current medical condition or any other form of medication, talk to your doctor. Some medications are known to affect how Modvigil 100mg works.
- Hormonal contraceptives or birth control pills
- Oral antifungals such as ketoconazole
Interaction with alcohol
Alcohol can increase the risk of side effects and give negative health effects. Avoid drinking alcohol together with this medicine.
Before taking Modvigil 100 mg, tell your doctor:
- If you are allergic to Modafinil or other medicines.
- If you have a history of stroke, heart attack or congestive heart failure.
- If you suffer from problems such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc.
- If you suffer from anxiety, depression and mood disorders.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If you have a history of substance abuse.
If you take sleeping pills.
There are no reviews yet.